This is a really easy, vegetarian stir-fry which is quick to throw together. I love this recipe because the simple, three-ingredient combination of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and honey creates a delicious sweet-salty-sour situation which soaks right into the soft aubergine. I like to add extra chilli and another drizzle of soy at the end but you can amend to your taste.
Easy aubergine & green bean stir-fry
Cook: 15 mins
1. Cook the rice in boiling water, following pack instructions.
2. In a large frying pan (which has a lid), heat 1tbsp oil on a medium-high heat and add the aubergine chunks. Cook for around 3 minutes on each side, until browned and soft.
3. Add the green beans and 100ml water, then put the lid on and steam for 3-4 mins, until the beans start to feel tender. Remove the lid and add most of the chilli and spring onions (reserving a handful of each for sprinkling over at the end). Fry for a few more mins.
4. Mix together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and honey, then pour into the pan and stir to coat all the veg. Sizzle for a couple of mins until the sauce has totally reduced and is just coating the veg.
5. Drain the rice and portion into two bowls. Pile the aubergine and green bean mix on top, followed by a drizzle more soy sauce, the extra chilli and spring onions and a sprinkling of sesame seeds, if you like.